Breathing Apparatus Training
This breathing apparatus training covers the skills and knowledge required to operate and maintain breathing apparatus and equipment in an irrespirable atmosphere, as defined by the Australian Standard AS/NZS 1715:2009 Selection, use and maintenance of respiratory protective equipment, which includes SCBA.
This unit applies to operators who are required to wear respiratory protection equipment (RPE) because they are working:
- in a confined space
- with hazardous gases/vapours
- in an oxygen deficient atmosphere
- in high heat environments
- where there is smoke
- where there is a fire
- in other situations requiring the wearing of RPE is required.
Operators may also be required to wear SCBA in emergency situations, however, this is not the prime focus of this training.
This training course applies to an individual working alone or as part of a team or group and working in liaison with other shift team members and the control room operator, as appropriate.
What are the Physical Requirements?
- Physically, medically and mentally fit.
- Able to lift and drag an 80kg dead weight approx 20 meters, conduct 5 heaves/pull ups, 30 push ups and able to operate at heights. Not be more than 120kg. Not have any medical conditions or phobias that may endanger yourself or other students including fear of heights or physical injury.
What are the Entry Requirements?
There are no prerequisites, however before making a booking students must:
- Be 18 years or older (unless prior arrangements have been made).
- Be able to clearly communicate (speak), read and write in English to a high standard.
- Have proficient computer skills with internet access. Preferably access to a Laptop/Desktop with a good WiFi connection to download the pre-course Learner Guide/s.
What are the Assessment Requirements?
During the course students must complete both theory and practical assessments under the following conditions in order to be deemed competent:
- Theory Assessment/s- Individual theory assessment (written and/or verbal) , which the student must get 100% in allotted time and attempts.
- Practical Assessment/s- Individual practical assessment based on scenarios given by the assessor in which the student must complete in order to prove their understanding of the subject and overall competency.
- Have a good attitude towards their training and overall safety.
NOTE: If a student is not successful in achieving a competent result for whatever reason, a re-booking or re-assessment fee will be applied depending on their short comings of their assessment/s.
8 Hours approx. face to face (with pre-course reading)
$299 per person.
- MSMWHS216 Operate Breathing Apparatus
All courses are delivered in English